Color Spree

Color Spree
My favorite color is "all of them." What's yours?

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Strathmore 400 Series Mixed Media Paper

Strathmore 400 Series Mixed Media Toned Pads

I got these back in October out of curiosity - toned mixed media paper? I might be able to have fun with gouache or white media on that. I like working on mid value paper. The weight attracted me - the paper in these pads is anything but flimsy. It's 140lb, my usual weight for watercolor paper. Therefore it might not curl as much under heavy washes. 

I liked the hues of the paper. The gray is just a touch cool, the tan is muted and a lot like kraft paper or the wonderful Brown Paper Grocery Bag that would be great if it wasn't something that would disintegrate in a relatively short time. It's a good color. Light colored elements stand out great, the value is just right to go both directions with Conte or anything else.

So naturally I tried it with water media. Mixed water media. Pens and wash and gouache.

Twisty Kitty 6" x 8" gouache, ink and watercolor

I was pleasantly surprised by the texture. It felt smooth, allowed me to get very fine pen details without fuzzing the line or breaking it. I used opaque and transparent watercolor, did pen work over that and had no problem. With the Pentel Pocket Brush Pen, paper texture matters - it's very pressure dependent and the fine tip goes extremely fine if handled right. This paper was smooth enough I could control it perfectly. I got lighter washes of white, wasn't limited to "white" or "bare" for values. 

The paper is very stiff even for 140lb watercolor paper. This proved to be a very good thing when it came to those background washes. Despite its being a pad, I didn't see any cockling at all. That rocks. I hate dealing with cockling and the way it moves color around.

The smoothness is convenient for pen work, but that can be a problem with colored pencils or pastels if the color won't lay down heavily or won't stick. I thought a mixed media paper should stand up to anything I wanted to put on it. Here's another wet-media example:

Sekhmet, cat portrait long hair tortie, watercolor and pen

It's easier to see the effect of the smooth paper on Sekhmet because she has so many swooping strokes with pointed ends, very fine lines with the black Pentel pen. This one also features whiskers done with a white gel pen and some gouache highlights including a gouache glaze over dark and black areas. The paper performed great. 

Sketches in colored pencil on gray, a rock, a leaf and a pear

The first thing I tried were some sketches with oil based colored pencils. The smooth surface was toothy enough to get good saturation. I was able to build up plenty of color, the bright colors on the pear didn't mute so much that they weren't intense. So I knew it'd handle colored pencils well enough. The oil based ones I used were comparable to wax ones for translucence, though I would expect Coloursoft to shine more than Lyra Rembrandt any colored pencils would work well enough on it. The paper was surprisingly toothy.

But was it toothy enough for pastels?

Doe in the Snow, pastel pencil on toned Strathmore 400 mixed media paper.
Photo reference used with permission from DAK723 on WetCanvas.com.

I loved how the paper performed with pastel pencils. It felt like working on the smooth side of Canson Mi-Tientes. I knew I could easily go to softer pastels or use Pan Pastels on it with no problem. This mixed media paper lives up to its name. It's tough, it stood up to a lot of erasing, lifting, washing, correcting and changing in a couple of those cat pieces. It's smooth and heavy, allowing fine detail or rough heavy applications.

I wouldn't worry about putting texture paste or gesso or primers on areas of it either if I were doing something multi-media. The price is decent and the paper is versatile. It's everything I wanted for mixed media. 

Many of the mixed media pads and sketchbooks I've had only had 90lb paper, sometimes with enough texture elements that clean hard inked lines or hard edges were difficult. This paper is great. What's interesting is that while it's buffered and acid free, it has 30% post consumer fiber. So I've finally got a good quality recycled paper that's got the look of brown grocery bags and the feel of brown grocery bags... and the sturdiness of heavy watercolor paper. Good stuff. I'll definitely keep this in stock, there's way too many good uses for it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Robert,

    I recently came across some Strathmore 400 Mixed Media paper pads, in Hobby Lobby only, so far, that were 187 lb weight, as opposed to their regular 140 lb weight for that Strathmore 400 series type of paper. It even came in 18” x 24” pads, of which I scooped up several. Have you gotten a chance to test Strathmore’s new weight of the 400 series Mixed Media paper? Everywhere I look, Dick Blick, Jerry’s Artarama, and Amazon, everyone else is selling Strathmore’s 140 lb weight version of their 400 mixed media paper.

    It’s on a 50% off sale this week at HL, as are all art pads, and it’s the second time I’ve seen them on sale at that rate this year. (Historically, HL had 40% off sales, regarding their art paper pads.)

    I originally was looking for a larger paper for mixed media intuitive painting, studies, and mixed media explorations or product tests. Due to the prolific and larger sized nature of those needs, I was going to gesso heavy weight poster board that measured 22 x 28”. Stretched canvases would take up too much room, 18” x 24” paper pads, which seem to be the largest size art paper pads ever come in, seemed too small for intuitive painting, which encourages whole body movements.

    Now I’m considering either just being satisfied with the 18” x 24” paper pads, or occasionally taping two 18” x 24” Strathmore 400 series Mixed Media paper sheets side by side, on their back sides, and maybe on their front sides too if I can find a permanent cloth tape that would hold up, to yield a 36” x 24” mixed media surface. Hmmmm. Not sure about that.

    Most mixed media paper rolls have a 90 lb weight or so. That weight tends to buckle.

    My other two options that I favor are using Canva-paper rolls or actual primed canvas rolls, the latter probably being too financially prohibitive for my intentions.

    ReplyDelete